[EventCalendar] Re: Parameters for ec3_get_calendar()

Alex Tingle alex at firetree.net
Sun Nov 13 23:11:10 UTC 2005

Hi Ann,

(I'm CCing this to the new mailing list - I'm moving all support there.)

> Would you please consider in your next version adding parameter
> options to `ec3_get_calendar()`? What I'd like to do is change the
> calendar display options for different pages -- specifically, I
> want to enable the calendar to display events only on the events
> category page, but on all other pages I want the calendar to
> display entries as well as events. Adds a bit of flexibility,
> imo... and only simple changes to implement. I'll likely be adding
> this into the `ec3_get_calendar()` function myself but I'd also
> really love it if you threw it into your next version so I can
> upgrade without having to worry about changing anything again...

That's a reasonable request. I'm not sure I want to do it though -
many people who use Wordpress are fairly un-computer savvy. I
begrudge every bit on the API because it makes the instructions more
complicated.

How about an alternative that works right now:

Just change the setting directly, before you call ec3_get_calendar().
Like this:

<?php
   global $ec3;
   $ec3->show_only_events=True;
   ec3_get_calendar();
?>

That achieves what you want. It doesn't change the plugin code so you
can upgrade without worries, and it doesn't confuse newbies. Is it
good or is it whack?