[EventCalendar] Re: Various questions.

Aleksey Baulin keshonok at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 14 16:35:41 UTC 2005

--- Alex Tingle <alex at firetree.net> wrote:

> On 16 Oct 2005, at 15:17, Aleksey wrote:
> > The EventCalendar 3.0.2 is on my sample blog site that I am putting
> > together. It is on the right sidebar. On the left sidebar is the
> > version of the standard WP's calendar thatI hacked together. Please
> > note that it uses completely different id's and classes from the
> > original, and hence there's no conflict here with running two
> > calendars at once.
> >
> > Also, please note that I have no events yet, so it's just the pure
> > calendar. The relevant configuration is "Keep events separate" and
> > "Show all posts".
> >
> > 1/ When loaded with the start (index) page, the EventCalendar shows
> > everything correctly. However when I go to the previous month
> > (September) it does not show any posts at all, even though I have them
> > on 28th and 29th of September.
>
> Try a URL like: http:/your.blog/index.php?ec3_xml=2005_09
>
> That should show you the XML that the JavaScript is trying to get.
> Problems with the active calendar are often due to a problem with the
> XML.

I am unable to verify that now, as the website went live now,
and I don't have any posts in the previous months yet. For the
current month the XML file is fine, and the days with the posts
are shown just fine.

> > 2/ Same as above. Additional thing is that the link in the table's
> > caption (September 2005) is now using some format that does not work
> > on my site. The original link (October 2005) was perfectly correct.
> > This link structure was configured using the WP admin panel.
> > Obviously, EventCalendar knows of it as it does use it the first time
> > around, but then it switches to some other link scheme.
>
> Can you give me more detail? What are your settings for 'siteurl' &
> 'home'? What links do you see, and where? What should they be.

I seem to have responded to this question in the other message.
Please take a look here:
http://penguin.firetree.net/pipermail/eventcalendar/2005-November/000019.html

> > 3/ The popups don't work with my complex CSS layout design that
> > employs z-index. It works in Opera 8.5, but does not in Firefox 1.0.6
> > or Internet Explorer 6. In these the popups are shown behind the
> > actual content boxes that I have, such as the calendar itself. It is
> > difficult to spot. If you go to September, and point to mouse at the
> > 29th when I have 11 test posts, then you could see it clearly. For
> > other post days it's one post only, and the popup is completely hidden
> > behind the calendar.
>
> So, should the plugin's CSS specify the z-layer?

Yes, I think so. Some very high z-layer number. For instance,
I use numbers link 100, 500 in my CSS. You should probably use
much higher numbers.

> > 4/ I would really want to have the 'title=""' parameter in  in
> > addition to <a> where you have it. The thing is that I color the boxes
> > where I have posts, and I would like the info shown when the mouse is
> > in the box area as well, not just when the mouse is pointed at the
> > link directly.
> >
> > 5/ I would really want to have the 'title=' parameter for the Next
> > Month and Previous Month links, both </a><a> and  as explained above.
>
> I think WP garbled this text. Please repeat where you would like to see
> the 'title' attribute.

In fact, I see now that the 'title=' attribute is there for the
days where I have posts. My mistake, sorry. In addition to that,
I would like to have this attribute for "Prev" and "Next" links
at the bottom of the calendar, as I tend to have _all_ my links
with this attribute.

> > 6/ Be advised that the moving cursor box does not work in Internet
> > Explorer. That's how IE works, and is hardly your bug. I have the same
> > behaviour in my tables.  :)
>
> I don't understand this. What is the 'moving cursor box'?

When the mouse cursor is hovering over any day in the calendar,
the calendar shows a [bounding] box around that particular day's
'<td>'. It is not shown in IE because IE does not understand
':hover' in CSS on anything other than '<a>'. It moves as you
move the cursor from one day to another. Sorry for not providing
a better term to this.

--
Aleksey