[EventCalendar] Re: Wordpress / Blog URI

Alex Tingle alex at firetree.net
Mon Nov 14 17:06:48 UTC 2005

Hi Aleksey,

>> I've just double checked and I always use get_settings('siteurl').
>> That's the same as get_bloginfo('wpurl'). I *believe* that's the
>> correct URI.
>>
>> So, can you tell me where you think it's going wrong?
>
> Sure, I will try to explain again.
>
> My configured "WordPress address (URI)" is "http://www.hashdef.com/wp".
> Configured "Blog address (URI)" is "http://www.hashdef.com", which
> is different. This is in "Options->General" of the WordPress
> 1.5.2 Administration Panel.
>
> Now, the links your application generates are as following.
> For the current month it generates the link that is conformant
> to my configured permalink scheme (Options->Permalinks). The
> "/blog/%year%/%monthnum%/%day%/%post_id%/". The link that you
> generate on my site for the current month that you generate is
> "http://www.hashdef.com/blog/date/2005/11/".
> When I click on "Prev" link to get the calendar for the previous
> month, the link for that month on my site is changed to the WP's
> default link structure (NOT permalink), and looks as follows:
> "http://www.hashdef.com/wp/index.php?year=2005&monthnum=10".
> This very inconsistence is disturbing by itself, as in my opinion
> all links should be permalinks, or at least be the same everywhere.
>
> So as you see in the link above that does not conform to the
> already noted above, my "Blog Address (URI)" is different, and
> the index.php is actually located at "/index.php", and not in
> the WordPress directory. That's the difference I was talking
> about.
>
> If you take a look at the WP's source file and the lines that
> I mentioned in the first message, you will see different cases.
> You seem to use "get_settings('siteurl')" everywhere, while I
> have a feeling you should be using "get_settings('home')" where
> appropriate. At least that's what would probably work on my site.

Correct me if I'm wrong here: You've MOVED index.php somewhere outside
of the Wordpress directory?

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve, but I don't think you are
using the 'home' & 'siteurl' options in the same way that most people
use them. 'siteurl' is supposed to point to your wordpress directory
(that should contain index.php along with all the other WP files).
'home' can point to another directory, for those people who do not use
index.php as their home page.

The plugin needs to be able to find its files. It looks in
<siteurl>/wp-content/plugins/eventcalendar3/. That works OK on your
site.

The plugin also needs to be able to find index.php in the same place.
You've moved it, so the plugin doesn't work. I suggest you put it back,
then everything will be fine.

I don't always use the permalink structure for two reasons:

1. Some of the links do not have a permalink. E.g. the active XML URL
is index.php?ec3_xml=2005_10

2. Some of the links are generated by JavaScript. I don't consider it
desirable to port all the permalink generating code to JS, since it
will be impossible to maintain.

Rather than moving index.php, why don't you add a line to your
.htaccess to rewrite / as /wp/index.php? That's the normal way of doing
it.