[EventCalendar] Re: Wordpress / Blog URI

Aleksey Baulin keshonok at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 14 17:32:48 UTC 2005

Alex,

--- Alex Tingle <alex at firetree.net> wrote:

> >> I've just double checked and I always use get_settings('siteurl').
> >> That's the same as get_bloginfo('wpurl'). I *believe* that's the
> >> correct URI.
> >>
> >> So, can you tell me where you think it's going wrong?
> >
> > Sure, I will try to explain again.
> >
> > My configured "WordPress address (URI)" is "http://www.hashdef.com/wp".
> > Configured "Blog address (URI)" is "http://www.hashdef.com", which
> > is different. This is in "Options->General" of the WordPress
> > 1.5.2 Administration Panel.
> >
> > Now, the links your application generates are as following.
> > For the current month it generates the link that is conformant
> > to my configured permalink scheme (Options->Permalinks). The
> > "/blog/%year%/%monthnum%/%day%/%post_id%/". The link that you
> > generate on my site for the current month that you generate is
> > "http://www.hashdef.com/blog/date/2005/11/".
> > When I click on "Prev" link to get the calendar for the previous
> > month, the link for that month on my site is changed to the WP's
> > default link structure (NOT permalink), and looks as follows:
> > "http://www.hashdef.com/wp/index.php?year=2005&monthnum=10".
> > This very inconsistence is disturbing by itself, as in my opinion
> > all links should be permalinks, or at least be the same everywhere.
> >
> > So as you see in the link above that does not conform to the
> > already noted above, my "Blog Address (URI)" is different, and
> > the index.php is actually located at "/index.php", and not in
> > the WordPress directory. That's the difference I was talking
> > about.
> >
> > If you take a look at the WP's source file and the lines that
> > I mentioned in the first message, you will see different cases.
> > You seem to use "get_settings('siteurl')" everywhere, while I
> > have a feeling you should be using "get_settings('home')" where
> > appropriate. At least that's what would probably work on my site.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong here: You've MOVED index.php somewhere outside
> of the Wordpress directory?

That is correct. I would not call it "MOVED" though. It's rather
that I "CREATED" my 'index.php' file in the root directory of my
web site, and it calls WordPress's functions (along with other
data) there. Please see below.

> I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve, but I don't think you are
> using the 'home' & 'siteurl' options in the same way that most people
> use them. 'siteurl' is supposed to point to your wordpress directory
> (that should contain index.php along with all the other WP files).
> 'home' can point to another directory, for those people who do not use
> index.php as their home page.

WordPress in not all of my site, and so I can't put the site's
'index.php' in the WordPress directory. I do not want to have
_my_ root content somewhere inside the installation of an application. At the
same time the home page of my site shows
lots of WordPress info, including the blog, and the calendar.

The WordPress doesn't seem to mind, and works great, finding
the 'index.php' file every time it needs it. From your words,
however, it almost sounds as if WordPress should have objected
to that too, as I supposedly put my 'index.php' in the wrong
place. Well, it does not object, and everything works perfectly.

The truth might be somewhere in the middle. :-)

> The plugin needs to be able to find its files. It looks in
> <siteurl>/wp-content/plugins/eventcalendar3/. That works OK on your
> site.
>
> The plugin also needs to be able to find index.php in the same place.
> You've moved it, so the plugin doesn't work. I suggest you put it back,
> then everything will be fine.

I can't do that. My index.php does not belong to WordPress, even
though it uses the WordPress as part of the site. WordPress finds
it just fine.

> Rather than moving index.php, why don't you add a line to your
> .htaccess to rewrite / as /wp/index.php? That's the normal way of doing
> it.

I would do that if I were convinced that it was the right solution.
I am not. WordPress does not depend on this file being in the
WordPress's root directory.

--
Aleksey