[EventCalendar] Re: Wordpress / Blog URI

Aleksey Baulin keshonok at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 14 23:11:49 UTC 2005

--- Alex Tingle <alex at firetree.net> wrote:

> On 14 Nov 2005, at 17:32, Aleksey Baulin wrote:
>
> >> The plugin also needs to be able to find index.php in the same place.
> >> You've moved it, so the plugin doesn't work. I suggest you put it
> >> back,
> >> then everything will be fine.
> >
> > I can't do that. My index.php does not belong to WordPress, even
> > though it uses the WordPress as part of the site. WordPress finds
> > it just fine.
>
> OK. I'm not saying you're wrong to have your own index.php, that's
> what the home/siteurl settings are there to facilitate. But why not
> just leave WP's index.php in the wp directory. What harm would it do
> if it were there?

Alex,

That is because I don't believe it belongs there. WordPress does
not depend on the 'index.php' file being in the WordPress root
directory. I believe your application should behave the same way.
I am still unconvinced that it should be otherwise.

Looking more at this all, I see that '.htaccess' that WordPress
has created for me when I set it up sources the index.php file as
follows:

RewriteRule ^blog/([0-9]{4})/([0-9]{1,2})/([0-9]{1,2})/([0-9]+)/trackback/?$
/index.php?year=$1&monthnum=$2&day=$3&p=$4&tb=1 [QSA,L]

So I guess this is why it does not depend on this file being
where you expect it to be.

This look like a confirmation that the correct location for the
'index.php' file is at the root of the blog (Configured "Blog
address (URI)"), NOT the root of the WordPress that is configured
as "WordPress address (URI)". This is the location that was used
by the WordPress to build my '.htaccess'.

--
Aleksey