[EventCalendar] Calendar hangs when changing months.

Alex Tingle alex at firetree.net
Mon Nov 21 22:24:10 UTC 2005

Rusty,

On 19 Nov 2005, at 14:56, Rusty Smith wrote:
> I have installed v.3.0.2 and am experiencing a problem when
> navigating from
> month to month. The initial load works great, but when I go to the
> next
> month the calendar seems to hang (the javascript indicator shows
> but then
> sometimes stops spinning abruptly, other times it keeps spinning
> incessantly) without loading the date information. When the
> calendar is
> refreshed by clicking on the name of the new month, it loads fine.
> Then if I
> try to go back to the previous month, the same thing happens: it
> hangs, but
> a calendar refresh makes it all right with the world.

The XML page that gives the details for the next month is failing to
load. You can see the XML for October, 2005 here:

  http://www.protomondo.com/_ausoa/index.php?ec3_xml=2005_10

You might need to 'view source' to see it. This is what I get...

<!--begin custom code to restrict category 3 (event) and category 4
(news) from displaying on the main page. The custom code is the $cat=
part.  -3 keeps category 3 (event) and -4 keeps category 4 (news)
from displaying on the main page. NOTE if you delete this code you
MUST leave the php call in place.) To exclude multiple categories
requires a hack of wp-includes > classes.php. See http://
www.coldforged.org/archives/2004/11/15/wordpress-asides-coldforged-
style/ for the specifics. -->
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?
 ><calendar><month id='ec3_2005_10'>
</month></calendar>

The XML generated by EventCalendar is in there, but it is preceded by
some garbage from a category restriction plugin.

Why garbage? Well, it looks like an HTML comment, but it is emitted
as a point BEFORE Wordpress has even emitted the HTTP headers. It's
totally wrong to emit HTML at this stage.

I suggest you take up this problem with the author of the category
plugin. As a workaround, I suggest you find the line or lines that
write out the comment and just remove them (or comment them out).