[EventCalendar] Beta 2

Alex Tingle alex at firetree.net
Wed Nov 30 15:20:53 UTC 2005

Darrell,

>> You could make it easier for me to do this work by finding me the
>> developer documentation for the new beta release. It doesn't seem to
>> be in the codex.
>
> Alex, it's not in the Codex just yet. I'm sure it will be discussed
> today at the meetup (http://codex.wordpress.org/IRC_Meetups)...

I'll check it out.

>> Right now I'd have to FIND the beta from wherever, and then start
>> poking around in its code to see what's changed. That all takes time,
>> which I don't have in abundance these days.
>
> If inclined, you can grab the nightly build from here...
>
> http://wordpress.org/support/topic/49790
>
> What's changed is that u.user_nickname is now located under
> wp_usermeta.meta_key (nickname)...I'm jammed with stuff as well, so I
> don't have that much time to poke around with adjusting the query to
> work with 2.0.

That sounds awkward. Yet another JOIN! As Wordpress' database design
improves, it starts to match MySQL less and less.

> Question for you Alex -- for support/development of EC...how do you
> plan on handling backward compatibility...like in this instance, two
> queries? One for 1.5.x users and one for 2.0?

I don't plan to support more than one version of Wordpress.

The WP people are obviously not afraid of breaking backwards
compatibility, in favour of cleaning up their code and moving forwards.
It's somewhat harsher on users, but it's a winning strategy in the end.

I don't know when the next version of WP is expected to come out, but
it's possible that my next version of EC will require it.