[EventCalendar] Beta 2

Darrell Schulte d at schulte.mn
Wed Nov 30 15:34:24 UTC 2005

On Nov 30, 2005, at 9:20 AM, Alex Tingle wrote:

>> What's changed is that u.user_nickname is now located under
>> wp_usermeta.meta_key (nickname)...I'm jammed with stuff as well,
>> so I don't have that much time to poke around with adjusting the
>> query to work with 2.0.
>
> That sounds awkward. Yet another JOIN! As Wordpress' database
> design improves, it starts to match MySQL less and less.

Ha! That's what I thought too...

>> Question for you Alex -- for support/development of EC...how do
>> you plan on handling backward compatibility...like in this
>> instance, two queries? One for 1.5.x users and one for 2.0?
>
> I don't plan to support more than one version of Wordpress.
>
> The WP people are obviously not afraid of breaking backwards
> compatibility, in favour of cleaning up their code and moving
> forwards. It's somewhat harsher on users, but it's a winning
> strategy in the end.
>
> I don't know when the next version of WP is expected to come out,
> but it's possible that my next version of EC will require it.

If WordPress Trac is any indication of when the beta becomes the real
deal, it's gonna be fairly soon I imagine...

http://trac.wordpress.org/roadmap

Active tickets:    11
Closed tickets:    287 (96%)

The approach to supporting and developing EC with the most stable
version of WordPress (when available) seems like a good idea.

Darrell