[EventCalendar] timezone bug(ger) ?!

karl kolk karlkolk at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 25 08:52:11 UTC 2006

don't really know if this is a bug, but it bugs me (alot)

i moved my wp and ec3 from my local machine to the hosted one.
after activating the ec3 there i get this error

Warning:  putenv() [function.putenv]: Safe Mode warning: Cannot set
environment variable 'TZ' - it's not in the allowed list in
/.../plugins/eventcalendar3/tz.php on line 50

 Warning:  putenv() [function.putenv]: Safe Mode warning: Cannot set
environment variable 'TZ' - it's not in the allowed list in
/.../plugins/eventcalendar3/tz.php on line 52

 Warning:  putenv() [function.putenv]: Safe Mode warning: Cannot set
environment variable 'TZ' - it's not in the allowed list in
/.../plugins/eventcalendar3/tz.php on line 50

 Warning:  putenv() [function.putenv]: Safe Mode warning: Cannot set
environment variable 'TZ' - it's not in the allowed list in
/.../plugins/eventcalendar3/tz.php on line 52

if i get correct my host seems to run the php in safe mode. is it
possible to circumvent this problem
without turning safe mode off (which i'm not sure of my host will do for me)

searching around i found out that other web-installations (plz give me
the correct term for this)
do have this problem too.
in 'phpWebSite' for example, people were advised to insert 'return
date("I");' before 'tz' gets set.
doing so in ec3 will let the plugin run, but gives me a calendar of
january of the year 1 in the sidebar.

looking through other possibly related stuff from my wp-installation,
i found another plugin dealing with timezone stuff. i have the
localized-german version of wp, and that plugin (timezone.php)
switches between summer- and wintertime atomatically.
in there i found these lines:

    function TimeZone()
    {
	if (!ini_get('safe_mode')) {
	    $tz = get_option('timezone_tz');
	    if (!empty($tz)) putenv("TZ=$tz");
	}
	add_action('admin_menu', array(&$this, 'admin_menu'));
	// Broken in WordPress 1.5
	//add_action('options_page_timezone', array(&$this, 'options_page'));
	add_action('option_gmt_offset', array(&$this, 'option_gmt_offset'));
    }

is this a possability to get around the safe_mod issues - and if so,
can someone tell me how to get this working in ec3.

thanks in advance
karl

*damn happy that mailing-lists exist - i am so new to this'