[EventCalendar] Wordpress loop in Event order and repeating events options

Alex Tingle alex at firetree.net
Tue Jan 2 22:19:46 UTC 2007

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 16:57:24 +0000
Jeff Cole <news2 at clear-vision.org> wrote:

> Hi Alex
>
> This is such a great plugin. Thank you for your continuing hard work.
>
> Two points:
>
> 1)
>
> I can't see any reference to this in the archives or maybe I have missed
> it, but I would like to be able to display the Wordpress loop (for a
> particular category) in event date order rather than by fiddling around
> with the posting time of each event to fake this.
>
> Is there any present way that this can be done?

If you use an advanced query, then you get the sort order you are after.
The Event Category page is also sorted like that if you flick the "Keep
Events Separate" switch on the Options page.

> 2)
>
> One day I guess we will have repeating events explicitly available,
> however for the moment I can manually put in different schedules for
> each post. However what I would love to be able to do is display these
> schedules differently in different contexts. For example I might have an
> event that is a six-week course on the same day each week at the same
> time. I would like to be able to show each session in the calendar but
> in upcoming events ie using ec3_get_events() I only want to it to show
> once - for the first date - but let it tell me that there are six
> sessions - ideally with repeating events set up it could tell me that it
> is repeating once a week for 6 weeks (in some simplified way of
> describing this).
>
> There isn't any hidden way of doing this is there at the moment?

Best solution is to write your own function, based upon
ec3_get_events(), that does what you want. Post it to the list!

I think it would be a good idea for me to write a HOWTO. If I documented
the internals to make writing your own stuff easier, it might encourage
you guys to dust off your text editors! If we have a bunch of different
functions, then we could put each one in its own widget, and give people
choice without over-complicating things.

Good idea?