[EventCalendar] Future post date

Alex Tingle alex at firetree.net
Mon Dec 8 22:29:17 UTC 2008

Hi there,

On 8 Dec 2008, at 19:42, Damon Timm wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 10:04 AM, webmadame at gmail.com
>> Should I use a list query instead -- perhaps create a normal (other
>> category) post with a future date and pull an ec3 query into the
>> post? Or is
>> there a function to tell ec3 to check the db and publish a post on
>> a future
>> date? I think I am still confused on this part!
>
> Alex may be able to better answer that question, but I don't believe
> that functionality exists yet ... from how I understand it, ec3 isn't
> designed with that functionality inherent in the system.  Good luck!

Let me just get this straight. You want to make an event for sometime
in the future (1st March, say) and you want that to appear in the
sidebar calendar and sidebar event list straightaway. But you don't
want the event's post to be published straightaway. You want it to
appear on 1st Feb (say). Is that right?

I can't see how that would work. Imagine it's the 1st January and I
click on the event in the event list... where does that go? It can't
go to the event post, because that's not published until 1st Feb. It
can't go to a 404 page, because that's just rubbish.

I think what you want is *two* posts. One is the event (1st March),
which you publish right away. If you don't want it in your blog, just
set "Keep Events Separate" mode. Then you want *another* post, which
you use to advertise the event, scheduled to be published at a future
date (1st Feb)... Just include a link to the event from your scheduled
post.

What do you think?