[EventCalendar] Customising ec3_get_events display

James Kirsop james.kirsop at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 12:26:45 UTC 2008

Alex,
Thanks for your reply!

On 22/12/2008, at 8:40 PM, Alex Tingle wrote:
> Rick pointed out the new 3.2 template functions...
>
> On 22 Dec 2008, at 04:11, James Kirsop wrote:
>> These new functions (especially those to get the start date/time)
>> are going to be great! I did see those when I took a look at the
>> new functions this morning, and they're certainly something I've
>> been wanting for a while (I had written my own previously).
>

> So, hopefully you're on the right track with that one. Let us know
> how you get on. Remember that 3.2 *is* the development version, so
> you can help us out by reporting any problems you may encounter.

I will let you know how I go with them, once I get the post order
sorting working (see below).

> Second question:
>
>>> Or, is there a way of ordering posts output by the general
>>> Wordpress loop in an order dictated by their event dates set in
>>> ec3?. Running the usual/standard wordpress loop doesn't help much,
>>> as they just appear in the date order that they were posted in --
>>> which is not what I'm looking for. Ideally, I'd like to have
>>> pagination working, which isn't covered by ec3_get_events() but is
>>> covered by the WP loop.
>
> May I refer you to the documentation.
>
> "Keep Events Separate" mode sorts the event category page in the way
> you want:
> http://wpcal.firetree.net/options/

The problem is, I want to be able to sort posts based on what
wordpress categories (other than the event category) they're in --
without needing to use the ?ec3_listing=events function as all the
posts on the site will be events. EG. I'd like to be able to send
users to http://domain.com/archives/categories/<categoryname> and give
them a list of events within that category in the order that the
events are occurring in, which I assume is what the advanced-query ?
ec3_listing=events does. This allows me to group events into certain
types, so that they're easy to navigate for users of the site I'm
working on. Obviously all the events need to go into the events
category -- but since my site is going to purely be for listing events
(more or less like a calendar/diary), it would be really nice to be
able to sort the events based on their date, and the category they're
in -- and have the 'ordered by date' listing work no matter where they
are in the site.
In addition to that, I'd want to be able to show events from the
'Featured' wordpress category on the home page -- which would, I
think, be reasonably easy once I work out how to sort events the way I
want within their individual category page, but perhaps not?

> If you need finer control, then have a look at the advanced queries:
> http://wpcal.firetree.net/advanced-queries/
Some of these are great, but require some tweaking for what I'm
looking for. Eg. I'd like to show events from 'This Week' -- which
shows events from the Sunday before the current date, to the sunday
following the current date -- as opposed to showing the 'next 7 days'
which is what I've been using as a substitute until I work out how to
get the desired listing.

> Serious question: Did you read the documentation and not see how
> those features might help you, or did you not find the
> documentation? Either way, it's not helped you as it should have.

I did read the documentation, and as you can see from my post above --
the options page didn't really provide the answers I was looking for.
The advanced queries page was a great place to get me started on
working out how I can add my own custom functionality to ec3 -- but I
haven't made much progress with that yet. I think the documentation is
fine (perhaps a little bit bare though, could perhaps do with some
padding out/more explainations of particular things), but was outside
the scope of what I'm looking for in this plugin.

Thanks for your help so far!
James