[EventCalendar] Fatal Error

Alex Tingle alex at firetree.net
Mon Dec 29 23:27:03 UTC 2008

Jeff Dodson wrote:
> I wrote previously (then update below):

Please use ">" characters to indicate quotation. If your mail client doesn't
put them in automatically for you, you should probably switch to a better mail
client. Let me see, you are using "Microsoft Office Outlook 11"... try this:
 http://mailformat.dan.info/config/outlook.html

While you are about it, make sure you set your outgoing format to plain text.

> With Alex's announcement that the latest dev version corrects the calendar
> title issue and others confirmation, I decided to go there again.  This
> fatal error happened last time, but I don't think I did the entire
> deactivate routine.  This time I removed the widgets, then deactivated the
> 3.1.4 plugin.  I then uploaded the dev version provided in a link from Alex
> earlier today and proceeded to activate.  Activating the calendar seemed to
> go fine.  Next I activated the widget plugin, and I got the error I got last
> time.  I can not browse any part of my site, every page simply displays this
> message:
>

> Fatal error: Cannot redeclare ec3_widget_title() (previously declared in
> /home/jeffdcom/public_html/wp-content/plugins/event-calendar/options.php:210
> ) in /home/jeffdcom/public_html/wp-content/plugins/event-calendar/widget.php
> on line 40

You've managed to create a hybrid directory with some files from ec3.1 and
others from ec3.2. Delete the whole directory and start again.

If you want to be able to switch between the two different version, then put
them in different (sensibly named) directories. Both versions should appear in
your plug-in manager. Make sure you never ever have both of them active at the
same time.

> I know I will be able to go in and delete the plugin via ftp and delete the
> current events, and eventually install again, but what a pain.

Eh? Why would you need to change your database?

> How is this avoided?
>

> I tried a slightly different approach, to activate the calendar then place
> the calendar widget, THEN activate the upcoming events widget, and I got the
> same error.  Now to rename/remove/deactivate again and I guess this time I
> will delete all events like I did last time.  Fortunately these are test
> events, so are meaningless, but there must be a better way than this, isn't
> there?  It seems impossible to update existing events.  Please say it aint

Why are you deleting events? Just let the plug-in do its stuff. You can safely
revert from v3.2 to v3.1 without having to change your database.

:: Let me solve your problems: http://www.firetree.net/alex/