[EventCalendar] Fatal Error

Jeff Dodson jeff at singularmarketing.com
Tue Dec 30 00:12:17 UTC 2008

Done, this does make so much more sense with a mail list, still trying to
adjust to a mail list rather than a forum, of which I am more use to.

> > With Alex's announcement that the latest dev version corrects the
> calendar
> > title issue and others confirmation, I decided to go there again.  This
> > fatal error happened last time, but I don't think I did the entire
> > deactivate routine.  This time I removed the widgets, then deactivated
> the
> > 3.1.4 plugin.  I then uploaded the dev version provided in a link from
> Alex
> > earlier today and proceeded to activate.  Activating the calendar seemed
> > go fine.  Next I activated the widget plugin, and I got the error I got
> last
> > time.  I can not browse any part of my site, every page simply displays
> this
> > message:
> >

> > Fatal error: Cannot redeclare ec3_widget_title() (previously declared in
> > /home/jeffdcom/public_html/wp-content/plugins/event-
> calendar/options.php:210
> > ) in /home/jeffdcom/public_html/wp-content/plugins/event-
> calendar/widget.php
> > on line 40
>
> You've managed to create a hybrid directory with some files from ec3.1 and
> others from ec3.2. Delete the whole directory and start again.

Deleted the directory and then uploaded a fresh 3.2 dev from your link to
the email list today, all worked great.

> If you want to be able to switch between the two different version, then
> put
> them in different (sensibly named) directories. Both versions should
> appear in
> your plug-in manager. Make sure you never ever have both of them active at
> the
> same time.

Was not aware this was possible, so until a release comes out, I will keep
the one I got from the list today titled event-calendar-dev-122908 and if I
try a new dev version, will name it similarly and with a release finally
move to the release.  Great idea, makes it all easier to track what I am
doing.  Thanks for pointing this out.

> > I know I will be able to go in and delete the plugin via ftp and delete
> the
> > current events, and eventually install again, but what a pain.
>
> Eh? Why would you need to change your database?

Was not necessary following your advice above.

> > How is this avoided?
> >

> > I tried a slightly different approach, to activate the calendar then
> place
> > the calendar widget, THEN activate the upcoming events widget, and I got
> the
> > same error.  Now to rename/remove/deactivate again and I guess this time
> > will delete all events like I did last time.  Fortunately these are test
> > events, so are meaningless, but there must be a better way than this,
> isn't
> > there?  It seems impossible to update existing events.  Please say it
> aint
>
> Why are you deleting events? Just let the plug-in do its stuff. You can
> safely
> revert from v3.2 to v3.1 without having to change your database.

Again not necessary following your advice.  I have a much better grasp on
how I should would with the list and with the dev versions, I should not be
so hard to deal with in the future,  :)

Jeff Dodson