[EventCalendar] Patches - a brief HOWTO

Alex Tingle alex at firetree.net
Sun Oct 12 10:14:14 UTC 2008

I've noticed that many of you post replacement files to the mailing
list, and call them "patches". Replacement files are useful for casual
users, because they can simply copy them over their existing file.
However, they are not much use when you are working with *multiple*
changes to the same file.

It's much more useful to send *actual* patches, which just contains
the differences between the old and new files. Subversion already
contains a tool for making patches, it's just "svn diff FILENAME"!

Once you have a patch, you can apply it by using the 'patch' program.
'patch' looks at your current file and changes it according to the
instructions in the patch.

Read this: http://wiki.creativecommons.org/HOWTO_Patch

Any Linux or Mac will have diff, patch (and svn) already installed.
You can get diff and patch for windows here:
  http://gnuwin32.sf.net/packages/diffutils.htm
  http://gnuwin32.sf.net/packages/patch.htm

If you ever make *any* changes to the EC code, I strongly suggest that
you start using Subversion. It makes it much easier to manage your own
changes AND stay in touch with the main development.

Here endeth the lesson :-)