[EventCalendar] Re: Feature Request?

Darrell Schulte d at schulte.mn
Wed Oct 15 16:45:54 UTC 2008

On Oct 15, 2008, at 11:16 AM, Damon Timm wrote:

> Hi Samuel -
>
> I was referring to using Wordpress's "custom fields" -- I have a
> "Location" key setup with a specific value ... That pulls the location
> (and other information) and includes it in that little "sidebar" on
> the event details page.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of custom fields myself -- just read this recent
write-up:

http://www.nathanrice.net/blog/an-easy-way-to-get-the-contents-of-a-custom-field/

> Might there be an easy way for the iCal export to look for a "custom
> fields" key of "location" and use that value if it was present ?

I like the idea, however, say you have an event called, "Monthly
Meeting" and it convenes on Jan 1, Feb 2, Mar 3, etc...and they meet
in a new place every month...using custom fields to manage this might
become problematic. If the location didn't change, you could have 12
events in that one post -- pulling the 'location' custom field without
issue and as needed. If you have 12 different locations, you'd have to
have 12 posts for each event date to coincide with each new location.
Not very efficient.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VCal

{events}
EVENT[1]=START_T:07+29+30;END_T:07+45+59;START_D:06+11+2004;END_D:
06+11+2004;
LAST_DAY:false;LOCATION:Home;NAME:Test;NOTE:Test;CATEGORIES:%c1+%c2

Hmmm...