[EventCalendar] Fatal Error with Big Calendar

Alex Tingle alex at firetree.net
Mon Oct 27 21:51:56 UTC 2008

On 27 Oct 2008, at 21:26, Rick Boatright wrote:
> uh  ok.
> Sorry.

No worries.

> I'm sure there's a reason.   As I said, we use a _very_ different
> version
> control system in my day to day life, and it simply doesn't _do_
> tags and
> branches and trunk.
>
> I guess I ought to go read the nice - free, svn book.

A 'tag' means a snapshot - it's a name for a frozen moment in the
tree's history. Some revision control systems explicitly support the
concept: CVS has 'tags', MS's Source Safe has 'labels'.

Subversion doesn't explicitly support tags in code. Instead, it has a
*convention* which is implemented purely at the human level: A
directory called 'tags' is expected to contain copies of the tree that
we don't intend to change.

(Similarly, a directory called 'branches' is expected to contain
copies of the tree that we DO intend to change.)

There's always scope for bending these conventions. For example, if
you remember something five minutes after you've tagged a release,
it's probably OK to just dive in and change it. Once other people have
started using your tag, then it's probably best to leave it and make
another. If you flout the convention, you'll end up confusing people.