[EventCalendar] error / spinner freezes when looking at upcoming months

Alex Tingle alex at firetree.net
Tue Oct 28 21:59:06 UTC 2008

> So I've put up the calendar on this page: http://nycscv.org/?page_id=19 It
> works great, except when trying to click ahead to upcoming months.  The
> events listed for November show up (Since you don't have to click forward
> to see them), but the events for July (Viewable here:
> http://nycscv.org/?m=20090722&cat=3 So I know they're there) don't.  As you
> can see, when you click forward, the java spinner just freezes.  So you can
> click through to later months, but events won't show up. To test, I've
> stripped down the page completely, nothing but the header and the calendar,
> and it still doesn't work.  Can you guess if there's something in my header
> that might cause this problem, or some bit of code I need to double check
> IS in my header? Thanks so much, this seems to be a great plugin if I can
> figure out how to not screw it up!

Phew. Paragraphs man!

Your blog is not properly producing the XML data that the AJAX calendar is
calling home for.

http://nycscv.org/?ec3_xml=2008_10 should yield some XML. Like this...
http://wpcal.firetree.net/?ec3_xml=2008_10

Now, why is that not working?

Let's look closer...

http://nycscv.org/?ec3_xml=2008_10 gives this result:

----

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?><calendar><month
id='ec3_2008_10'>
</month></calendar>
<script language='javascript'
src='https://a12.alphagodaddy.com/hosting_ads/gd01.js'></script>
----

Firstly, there is a stray new line in there at the beginning... that'll break
it. That *might* be down to a bad plug-in or theme. PHP files *must* start
with <?php and end with ?> - there must be no stray new-lines.

Secondly, there is a load of rubbish pasted at the end. Everything after
</calendar> has been added by your hosting provider. It looks like they are
editing your pages to insert advertising. That makes the XML invalid, so
that's probably enough to kill it too.

Upgrade to a better ISP.