[EventCalendar] MBCS Error on line 242, checked archives and tried available solutions already.

Adrian Tysoe Tysoe at pacbell.net
Sat Feb 14 20:51:15 UTC 2009

Hi, I tried the latest build but it still didn't work, the same problem
occurs. I Installed a PHP5 database for Wordpress. However, checking with my
web host 1&1 support FAQ there may be extra steps for some things,  I pasted
what the support FAQ said at the end of this message.

One thing it  says is to rename files from .php to .php5 which doesn't seem
to work.  OK, I tried making an empty  .htaccess  file in my wordpress root
folderand pasted AddType x-mapp-php5 .php  inside it. That seems to have
fixed the problem.

I don't know if that's of any use to you, 1&1 Is a pretty big web host,
might be worth mentioning the above fix in the calendar docs somewhere.

web host support faq info below.

********************

With 1&1 Linux hosting packages you have the choice between PHP 4 and
PHP 5. To distinguish a script as PHP 5, simply name the script with the
file
extension .php5.

While the PHP developers have done their utmost to ensure compatibility, we
cannot
guarantee that PHP 4 scripts will function 100% correctly under PHP 5.

Please note that in contrast to PHP 4, the default for the variable
RegisterGlobals
is "off".

By default Apache uses PHP 4 for .php extension. If you don't want to rename
all your
scripts to .php5 you can do the following:
Create a .htaccess file and place the following line AddType x-mapp-php5
.php in it.

This will tell Apache to use PHP 5 instead of PHP 4 for the extension .php
in the
directory the .htaccess is placed and all sub-directories under it.

You can use AddHandler x-mapp-php5 .php as an alternative for or instead of
AddType x-mapp-php5 .php

This is an error produced by php4.  The BEST solution is to upgrade to php5.

Failing that, download the current developmental version from wordpress.

http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/event-calendar.zip

and it ought to work for you.  While it's LABELED as developmental, it's
really pretty much ready for release.