[EventCalendar] PHP issues

Chris Janton face at CentosPrime.COM
Fri Jul 31 16:50:06 UTC 2009

apparently all versions of EventCalendar that I have - 3.1.4 and 3.2
beta2

My hosting service for one of my blogs recently upgraded PHP to
version 5.3
EventCalendar installed and working as I want for a long time

Today I look at the front page of the blog - no posts at all. In fact,
no posts anywhere you would expect them.

I check a different blog, different host, PHP version 5.2.10
EC works fine
Posts work fine

Get hosting service to back out PHP 5.3 to 5.2.10
EC starts working again

the error messages that we get when it is failing are

[Fri Jul 31 08:27:43 2009] [error] WordPress database error You have
an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your
MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'FROM wp_posts
WHERE 1=1' at line 1 for query  SELECT    FROM wp_posts  WHERE 1=1
made by wp_edit_posts_query, wp, WP->main, WP->query_posts, WP_Query-
 >query, WP_Query->get_posts

Please note that "SELECT  FROM wp_posts WHERE 1=1" is not legal SQL.
Looks like what we want is
"SELECT * FROM wp_posts WHERE 1=1"

We also see PHP Warnings like

PHP Warning:  Parameter 1 to ec3_filter_posts_where() expected to be a
reference, value given in /pathtomyblog/news/wp-includes/plugin.php on
line 166

For now - PHP 5.2.10.

8)