[EventCalendar] Big Calendar in a Category Template - How to do it?

Alex Nikulin alexforum at iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 5 07:30:44 UTC 2009

I've unsubscribed from this list twice, why am I still getting emails?

Thanks Alex

On 05/03/2009, at 6:01 PM, Rick Boatright wrote:

Yes, the calls changed.

In 3.2, we are filtering "The Content" not the template to put the
bigcal in, so if you want  it on a CATAGORY ARCHIVE -- which frankly
isn't something we considered,  uh,  you can't use the [EC3BigCal}
thing... because that only works on PAGES not POSTS....

but you COULD call it directly.

The filter code that calls the big-calendar renderer is below, but
basically, you could do something along the lines of

       $calobj = new ec3_BigCalendar($options);
       $calcode = $calobj->generate();
       return $calcode;

here's the function that calls the ec3bigcalendar generator.

function ec3_filter_the_content_bigcal(&$post_content)
{
   if(is_page())
   {
     $placeholder = '[EC3BigCalendar';
     $pos=strpos($post_content,$placeholder);
     if($pos!==FALSE)
     {
       // Only load the Big Calendar code now that we know we need it.
       require_once(dirname(__FILE__).'/calendar-big.php');
       // Process options.
       $options=array();
       $options['id']='ec3_big_cal';
       $options['num_months']=1;
       $options['day_length']=9;
       $options['show_only_events']=1;
       $re='/\[EC3BigCalendar(:(\w+=\w+(&|&|&#0*38;))*(\w+=\w+))?]/
i';
       if(preg_match($re,$post_content,$m))
       {
         if(!empty($m[1]))
         {
           $args = strtolower(preg_replace('/(&|&#0*38;)/','&',
$m[1]));
           $options = wp_parse_args(substr($args,1),$options);
         }
         $placeholder = $m[0];
       }
       $calobj = new ec3_BigCalendar($options);
       $calcode = $calobj->generate();
       $post_content = str_replace($placeholder,$calcode,$post_content);
     }
   }
   return $post_content;

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 11:39 PM, theplacebo webadmin <theplacebo.webadmin at gmail.com
 > wrote:
I've seen a few other people fumbling around with similar issues, but
didn't see any solutions. (Er, at least any that I could *tell* were
solutions.)

I need to put the Big Calendar into the top of the custom Calendar
category template I made, above the listing of posts in said category.
(This in order to meet the request of the eventual site owners.) I'm
having problems, no doubt because I am a n00b when it comes to mucking
about in php templates and plug-ins.

I tried using <?php echo do_shortcode('[EC3BigCalendar]'); ?> , but it
merely prints out the short code, rather than implementing it. So the
php I'm using to insert is that which I found here:
http://wpcal.firetree.net/2008/10/26/big-calendar-version/
i.e., |
<?php ec3_get_calendar("ec3default",1); ?>

When I use it as-is, I get lots of errors, all looking more or less
like:
" Warning: array_key_exists() [function.array-key-exists]: The second
argument should be either an array or an object in
/[domain]/wp-content/plugins/event-calendar/calendar-sidebar.php on line
45 "
though the line numbers change.

The errors disappear if I delete the parameters from ec3_get_calendar(),
but the Big Calendar itself looks just as wonky. Or rather, I should say
the Small Calendar looks just as wonky, since that's what appears either
way and just stretches itself across the page.

||So has the insert code perhaps it has changed with the latest beta
version? Moving it about the template changes nothing and the template
otherwise does what it should, displaying both the Calendar category and
some HTML atop that.

Wordpress version: 2.7.1
Theme: modularity_lite
EC3 version: 3.2.beta2.

Test page using short code, looking fine:
http://www.hummingtest.net/atl/calendar/
Test category template using php, looking terrible:
http://www.hummingtest.net/atl/category/calendar/

Thanks very much, in advance

_D. the (temporarily) Clueless

ps. Thanks to Alex and the other coders for making EC3 available at all!