[EventCalendar] Re: EventCalendar Digest, Vol 50, Issue 5

Kenneth Petrowski kenny at nycvineyard.org
Fri Jan 29 17:23:12 UTC 2010


On www.northbrooklynvineyard.org, I've been using this code to show  
the  events separate from other blog entries (using EC 3.2 beta 2):

<?php $events = new WP_Query();
  $events->query('cat=6');
if($events->have_posts()) : while($events->have_posts()) : $events- 
 >the_post(); ?>

<div class="event">

<!-- THUMBNAIL if wppt-thumb exists for this post, display it -->
	<?php $image = get_post_meta($post->ID, 'wppt-thumb', true);
	if($image) : ?>
	<a href="<?php echo get_permalink($post->ID); ?>" title="<?php echo  
$post->post_title; ?>"><img class="thumb" src="<?php echo $image; ?>"  
alt="<?php echo $image; ?>" /></a>
	<?php endif; ?>

<!-- TTITLE-->
<h2><a href='<?php the_permalink() ?>'><?php the_title(); ?></a></h2>

<!--EXCERPT-->
<?php the_excerpt(''); ?>

</div>

<div style="clear: both;"></div>
<?php endwhile; ?>
<?php else : ?>
<p>No events are currently scheduled.</p>
<?php endif; ?>


I'm trying to figure out a way to have 2 categories (Calendar &  
Calendar-Home) & show all events on 'Calendar', but display only those  
in Calendar AND Calendar-Home on the homepage. Haven't figured it out  
yet.

Also I wanna use the thumbnail functionality built into WP 2.9.

Tell me if this works, or if there's any way to improve it (I hacked  
it together)!

Kenny


On Jan 29, 2010, at 7:00 AM, eventcalendar-request at firetree.net wrote:

> Send EventCalendar mailing list submissions to
> 	eventcalendar at firetree.net
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> 	http://penguin.firetree.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/eventcalendar
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> 	eventcalendar-request at firetree.net
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	eventcalendar-owner at firetree.net
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of EventCalendar digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. Re: Listing events both on homepage and by event	date (Ken Gagne)
>   2. Re: Re: Listing events both on homepage and by event	date
>      (Dr. Peter Troxler)
>   3. RE: Re: Listing events both on homepage and by	event	date
>      (Jono Alderson)
>   4. Re: Re: Listing events both on homepage and by	event date
>      (Chris G)
>   5. Add excerpt_length filter to ec3_get_the_excerpt()
>      (Gene Robinson)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 09:45:59 -0500
> From: Ken Gagne <kgagne at gamebits.net>
> Subject: [EventCalendar] Re: Listing events both on homepage and by
> 	event	date
> To: eventcalendar at firetree.net
> Message-ID: <7E6A53C5-6F5F-4217-80CB-3F3DEA0BA90F at gamebits.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> Thanks for the quick replies!
>
> Chris: If the post date and the event date are the same for a future  
> event, then won't that cause the blog post to remain on the top of  
> the homepage until the event occurs? Since my blog has both  
> editorial content and event listings, I don't want the latter  
> pushing down the former for months on end.
>
> Jono: I saw your code as a potential solution, but wasn't sure  
> exactly where to put it or how to call it.  Would you be able to  
> help this newbie with step-by-step directions?
>
> -Ken
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:56:18 +0100
> From: "Dr. Peter Troxler" <peter.troxler at gmx.net>
> Subject: Re: [EventCalendar] Re: Listing events both on homepage and
> 	by event	date
> To: Support for EventCalendar plugin <eventcalendar at firetree.net>
> Message-ID: <0068CE33-052C-4503-84AD-B4E46ED8C551 at gmx.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> on scope34.org (in German) I use a different approach:
>
> I use the keep events different option, so they come all under  
> category "Kalender" http://www.scope34.org/content/aktuell/kalender
> on the front page, I use a category "featured" for the main content  
> column (compare with http://www.scope34.org/content/aktuell/featured)
>
> this way I control through the "featured" category what to show on  
> the front page and use the calendaring options of event calendar ...  
> without a single line of extra code
>
> / peter
>
> On 28 Jan 2010, at 15:45 , Ken Gagne wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the quick replies!
>>
>> Chris: If the post date and the event date are the same for a  
>> future event, then won't that cause the blog post to remain on the  
>> top of the homepage until the event occurs? Since my blog has both  
>> editorial content and event listings, I don't want the latter  
>> pushing down the former for months on end.
>>
>> Jono: I saw your code as a potential solution, but wasn't sure  
>> exactly where to put it or how to call it.  Would you be able to  
>> help this newbie with step-by-step directions?
>>
>> -Ken
>> _______________________________________________
>> Blog: http://wpcal.firetree.net/
>> EventCalendar at firetree.net mailing list
>> Unsubscribe: http://penguin.firetree.net/eventcalendar
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:00:19 -0000
> From: "Jono Alderson" <jono.alderson at unidin.co.uk>
> Subject: RE: [EventCalendar] Re: Listing events both on homepage and
> 	by	event	date
> To: "'Support for EventCalendar plugin'" <eventcalendar at firetree.net>
> Message-ID: <000301caa02a$a2f694e0$e8e3bea0$@alderson at unidin.co.uk>
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="us-ascii"
>
> My crazy code should just sit in the Functions file and work its  
> magic, then
> you'll just need to do a query_posts call to spit it all out :)
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: eventcalendar-bounces at firetree.net
> [mailto:eventcalendar-bounces at firetree.net] On Behalf Of Dr. Peter  
> Troxler
> Sent: 28 January 2010 14:56
> To: Support for EventCalendar plugin
> Subject: Re: [EventCalendar] Re: Listing events both on homepage and  
> by
> event date
>
> on scope34.org (in German) I use a different approach:
>
> I use the keep events different option, so they come all under  
> category
> "Kalender" http://www.scope34.org/content/aktuell/kalender
> on the front page, I use a category "featured" for the main content  
> column
> (compare with http://www.scope34.org/content/aktuell/featured)
>
> this way I control through the "featured" category what to show on  
> the front
> page and use the calendaring options of event calendar ... without a  
> single
> line of extra code
>
> / peter
>
> On 28 Jan 2010, at 15:45 , Ken Gagne wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the quick replies!
>>
>> Chris: If the post date and the event date are the same for a future
> event, then won't that cause the blog post to remain on the top of the
> homepage until the event occurs? Since my blog has both editorial  
> content
> and event listings, I don't want the latter pushing down the former  
> for
> months on end.
>>
>> Jono: I saw your code as a potential solution, but wasn't sure  
>> exactly
> where to put it or how to call it.  Would you be able to help this  
> newbie
> with step-by-step directions?
>>
>> -Ken
>> _______________________________________________
>> Blog: http://wpcal.firetree.net/
>> EventCalendar at firetree.net mailing list
>> Unsubscribe: http://penguin.firetree.net/eventcalendar
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Blog: http://wpcal.firetree.net/
> EventCalendar at firetree.net mailing list
> Unsubscribe: http://penguin.firetree.net/eventcalendar
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 16:01:59 +0000
> From: Chris G <cl at isbd.net>
> Subject: Re: [EventCalendar] Re: Listing events both on homepage and
> 	by	event date
> To: eventcalendar at firetree.net
> Message-ID: <20100128160158.GA6418 at chris>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 09:45:59AM -0500, Ken Gagne wrote:
>> Thanks for the quick replies!
>>
>> Chris: If the post date and the event date are the same for a  
>> future event, then won't that cause the blog post to remain on the  
>> top of the homepage until the event occurs? Since my blog has both  
>> editorial content and event listings, I don't want the latter  
>> pushing down the former for months on end.
>>
> No, posts with a future date are not shown as they are 'Scheduled'
> rather than 'Published', they only appear on the blog when the post
> date stops being in the future.
>
> -- 
> Chris Green
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 14:30:29 -0500
> From: Gene Robinson <emhr at submersible.me>
> Subject: [EventCalendar] Add excerpt_length filter to
> 	ec3_get_the_excerpt()
> To: eventcalendar at firetree.net
> Message-ID: <DDD2596D-951B-4A2A-B34B-26F3B65064AA at submersible.me>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Hi,
>
> Is there any chance in a future release for the  
> ec3_get_the_excerpt()  function to be updated to reflect the recent  
> changes to wp_trim_excerpt() and include the apply_filters() for  
> excerpt_length  ?
>
> ref:
> http://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Filter_Reference/excerpt_length
> http://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Filter_Reference/excerpt_more
>
> Thanks-
> Gene
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://penguin.firetree.net/pipermail/eventcalendar/attachments/20100128/d56d5a1f/attachment-0001.html
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> EventCalendar mailing list
> EventCalendar at firetree.net
> http://penguin.firetree.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/eventcalendar
>
>
> End of EventCalendar Digest, Vol 50, Issue 5
> ********************************************




More information about the EventCalendar mailing list